[WSIS CS-Plenary] April fool's day? Was Re: [governance] APC Statement as IGF II closes

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Thu Nov 15 11:37:42 EST 2007

hi meryem

>>ps.. and meryem, to some extent you are right, not a typo so much,
>>ut open to misinterpretation - the word 'definition' shouldn't be
>>in the phrase, as it creates just this kind of misundertanding.. we
>>will edit the statement
>
>Please do if indeed this was not what was meant. There are so many
>people and groups and institutions.. that would be more than happy to
>understand it as it actually reads in this first version.

we will indeed (and in fact already have) removed the word
definition.. but i see you've formulated another below.. which i'll
come to below

>If indeed  APC understanding is what you specified in your previous
>reply  ("irrespecive of how anyone might feel about the illegaility
>of  specific content, it is illegal - but 'harmful' content,
>is  essentially content that some interested group wishes to make illegal
>- and the raod to that, is largely via self and co-regulatory schemes
>- and often implemented by inappropraite parties.."), then may
>I  suggest other wordings that you may or may not use:

and yes, that is certainly my understanding of what several of us are
interested in pursuing.. but, i'd like to take a breath and suggest
that we use this topic to finetune exactly what it is, we might focus
on..  you know well meryem, the frenetic pace and nature of these
events, and it is easy for a word or phrase to be inadvertantly used
in a public document due to the hectic nature of writing quickly etc..

>"WG on the impact of content regulation by technical and soft
>law  measures on human rights and the rule of law"
>
>And this working group would actually be able to build on huge  existing work.

for now, we're going to remove that particular WG proposal altogether
- as you see we have another:

"WG on self and co-regulation in internet governance" (which is more
in line with what you're proposing)

and we may even fine tune that, using yours and others input..

thanks meryem

karen