[governance] APC Statement as IGF II closes

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Thu Nov 15 08:53:03 EST 2007

hi everyone

some initial reflections as IGF II draws to a close..

karen
=====

APC statement on the second Internet Governance Forum
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
November 12-15 2007

RIO DE JANEIRO, 15 November 2007 – As the second
Internet Governance Forum (IGF) draws to a close,
the Association for Progressive Communications
(APC) is taking stock and formulating suggestions
for action, as a way to move the IGF forward.

The Rio IGF, like the first IGF, succeeded as a
space for inclusive policy dialogue. The openness
of the format of the event, and the quality and
diversity of the participants created an
opportunity for reaching common understanding of
complex and controversial issues. It builds
understanding of differences in positions and
opinions. It is this that enables the IGF to
influence and inform policy without the
constraints of needing to create consensus on negotiated text.

We appreciate the impressive effort of the
Brazilian Internet Steering Group in organising
the event, and in particular want to recognise
their inclusion of civil society organisations in the preparatory process.

This being said, the IGF can and should make
further progress in fulfilling its mandate. Here
are APC’s suggestions to the IGF for consolidating its mechanism.

- Establish a self-regulatory mechanism to ensure
participation, access to information and
transparency in internet governance: APC
recommends that a mechanism is created to ensure
that all the institutions which play a role in
some aspect of governing the internet commit to
ensuring transparency, public participation,
including participation of all stakeholders, and
access to information in their activities.

- Establish regional and national IGFs: Listening
to the proposals of many Latin American and
African delegates, including from leading
governments and the private sector, APC would
like to support the idea of establishing regional
IGFs to define regional priorities and to enable
greater participation from developing countries.
. We also believe that national IGFs are a
powerful mechanism for learning, problem solving,
collective action and building partnership among
different stakeholders at national level.

- Convene ‘IGF Working Groups’: APC recommends
that the IGF uses the format of the WGIG, or
bodies such as the IETF (Internet Engineering
Task Force) to convene working groups to address
complex issues that emerge during a forum. These
groups can be made up of individuals with the
necessary expertise, and drawn from different
stakeholder groups. These groups can then engage
specific issues in greater depth, and, if they
feel it is required, develop recommendations that
can be communicated to the internet community at
large, or addressed to specific institutions. .

These recommendations need not be presented as
formally agreed recommendations from the IGF, but
as recommendations or suggestions for action from
the individuals in the Working Group.These
working groups have a different role from the
self-organised dynamic coalitions which we believe should continue.

Based on discussions at the IGF II it appears
that working groups on the following five issues
might be valuable: a) WG on the definition of
illegal and harmful content; d) WG on self and
co-regulation in internet governance; c) WG on
business models for access; d) WG on a
development agenda for internet governance; e) WG on open standards.

- Effectively resource the IGF secretariat: We
want to express our admiration of Markus Kummer
and his team for accomplishing so much with so
little human and financial resources. We
recognise the extensive investment made by the
government of Brazil, and also by the previous
host country, Greece, as well as other
contributions made by governments, sponsors and
donors. However, if the IGF is to continue to
succeed and make further strides in fulfilling
its mandate, the secretariat needs to be properly
resourced. The United Nations needs to recognise
that the IGF is the outcome of a UN process and
should ensure that it has the resources it needs
to fulfil its mandate as defined at the Tunis Summit in 2005.

- Strengthen the capacity and legitimacy of the
Multi-Stakeholder Advisory Group: We recommend
that one third of the membership of the
Multi-Stakeholder Advisory Group rotates every
year; that it is formally appointed by Secretary
General by the end of January of every year; that
the mandate of the MAG is clarified and that it
considers electing some form of management
committee to streamline its internal
decision-making processes. We recognise the right
of the MAG to have closed discussions (Chatham
House Rules) but it needs to adhere to basic
principles of transparency and accountability. We
propose that the MAG provides routine reports on its meetings and decisions.

- On the thematic areas of the IGF, acknowledging
that access, openness, security, critical
internet resources and diversity have been
explored extensively, APC does not see the value
in recycling these themes in the plenary format.
We encourage the IGF III organisers to consider a
different format for the plenary panels. Such a
format should allow for in depth discussion of
specific issues and can draw on the outcomes of
workshops and inputs of working groups.

- Increase participation in agenda setting: We
suggest that the IGF secretariat and the MAG
(Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group) convene
working groups for each of the main themes of the
next forum to help shape the agenda and identify
speakers well in advance of the event. These
groups can assist the MAG and the secretariat to
address gender balance and diversity in the composition of the panels.

- Learning from experience: We encourage the
secretariat and the hosts of the first two IGFs,
Greece and Brazil, to engage in active sharing of
lessons learned with the next host country of the
IGF, India. This process should include
representatives of all stakeholder groups.

In conclusion, we would like to extend our thanks
to the host people and government, the Executive
Coordinator of the IGF secretariat and its
chairperson, and all participants. We wish India
well in it's preparations for IGF III and express
our commitment to the process and willingness to
provide support in the process where we can.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org