[governance] APC Statement as IGF II closes

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Nov 15 09:48:33 EST 2007

karen banks ha scritto:
> - Establish a self-regulatory mechanism to ensure participation, access
> to information and transparency in internet governance: APC recommends
> that a mechanism is created to ensure that all the institutions which
> play a role in some aspect of governing the internet commit to ensuring
> transparency, public participation, including participation of all
> stakeholders, and access to information in their activities.

Question - have you thought about starting a dynamic coalition or some
other working process to get to a written document detailing
participatory requirements for IG processes? I'm sure that many here
would be delighted to contribute, and this is an important element of
what we think should be part of the Bill of Rights framework. Perhaps
the group could also start bilateral talks with the affected
institutions so that they accept to discuss and come up with something
that is reasonable to them as well.

In any case, get the ball rolling - so for example:

> - Convene ‘IGF Working Groups’: APC recommends that the IGF uses the
> format of the WGIG, or bodies such as the IETF (Internet Engineering
> Task Force) to convene working groups to address complex issues that
> emerge during a forum. These groups can be made up of individuals with
> the necessary expertise, and drawn from different stakeholder groups.
> These groups can then engage specific issues in greater depth, and, if
> they feel it is required, develop recommendations that can be
> communicated to the internet community at large, or addressed to
> specific institutions. .

what difference does it make if they are called DCs or WGs? In the end,
they can't bind anyone but those who voluntarily accept to participate.
So let's just roll our sleeves up, try to involve as many stakeholders
as possible, convince them to participate and to sign up to the results,
and do something.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------