[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Nov 14 19:40:21 EST 2007

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron [14/11/07 18:43 +0100]:

>My argument falls in line with Robert"s assertion and you will agree
>with me that filtering of spams is infringing on one's right to
>freedom of choice. Let all the spams flow and the undeserved ones will

Yes, and if you vote for candidate 1 in an election and get candidate 2
selected instead, possibly a man that you detest, that is an infringement
of your freedom of choice too?

I know for a fact that some people buy sex enhancement pills and
painkillers online, after seeing them advertised in spam. Or genuinely
believe that Prof Charles Soludo of the Nigerian Central Bank is going to
give them a multi million dollar contract.  And they get very annoyed
indeed when they don't get such email.

Call it part of a voting system - when I have a large number of people
classifying email from a particular source, my filters typically block it
(note, I do NOT say "content filtering", of the sort that everybody has
been indicating - such as classifying all christian religious content as
spam .. that's not filtering, that's stupidity).

Every single major ISP does it. And their users, as I said, require them to
do it. If you want to do that yourself, why then, any old PC (even a 486),
a linux CD, and an internet connection should do (even a dialup - dynamic
dns will ensure that you can run your own domain). In essence, your server,
your rules, and you can filter or not filter to your heart's content.

>I am not advocating that those involved in creating spam blocking
>wares should be thrown out of job as Suresh's ire at my remark

My dear chap, if spam stops, and I get thrown out of a "job" I would be
more than happy. You think I enjoy looking at spam samples day in and day
out?  My job can go to hell with my blessings, the day spam stops.

Checking "internet clamping" - most people that I am aware of using Tor
tend not to use it simply to get around an autocratic regime's firewalls
and post politically sensitive material .. they download it and use it to
get around their office firewall and surf porn.

That CAN have its risks - i need hardly remind you of that recent case
where someone went out with a sniffer on a tor exit node, managed to get
the usernames and passwords of several hundred email addresses at various
embassies and government departments.

If you aren't being insulting by implying that I was criticizing you simply
because of my "fears" of being out of a job, you are simply being silly here.

I have been doing this for over a decade, a substantial part of it unpaid
and on my own time. Just so you know.

>BTW, the constant reference to "don't, don't" is hawkish. Does one ned
>to shout in putting accross a counterpoint on a forum like this one?

When trying to get a point across to someone whose emails so far have been
loaded with bombast, malapropmisms and misplaced ICT buzzwords, but
otherwise content free, yes, definitely.

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org