[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:43:40 EST 2007

Dear Suresh

Apart from the economic aspect of "Stopping phishers, 419 scam artists
etc from defrauding our customers.
There's also -

Conserving their bandwidth and connectivity costs
       (earlier it used to be "metered dialup", these days, gprs / 3g on
roaming)"
My argument falls in line with Robert"s assertion and you will agree
with me that filtering of spams is infringing on one's right to
freedom of choice. Let all the spams flow and the undeserved ones will
be discarded. The net will be neutral.
I am not advocating that those involved in creating spam blocking
wares should be thrown out of job as Suresh's ire at my remark
portends. Other arenas like checking internet clamping can be a more
income generating sector.
BTW, the constant reference to "don't, don't" is hawkish. Does one ned
to shout in putting accross a counterpoint on a forum like this one?

Aaron
On 11/14/07, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> Nyangkwe Agien Aaron wrote:
>
> > This is within the  context that "net neutrality" bothers on freedom
> > to communicate on the net and have such communication circulate freely
>
> You forget that there is one undeniable limit to freedom of speech and
> communication - the inalienable right to privacy.
>
> Stopping spammers from violating our users privacy is what we do. And what
> our users generally demand that we do, and complain - loudly - when we slip
> up on our job. They equally complain just as loudly if they miss even one
> legitimate email so the job of a responsible spam filtering provider is a
> tightrope between these two .. with an eye on the ultimate objective of
> actually getting our users the email they want, have asked for, and would be
> annoyed and disappointed not to get - while at the same time keeping what
> they COLLECTIVELY don't want out of their inboxes.
>
> note: There's always some fine soul who believes he can attract women if he
> buys the sex aids being advertised in spam, but when you balance him against
> the majority of other users who would rather not receive such spam, well, he
> is outvoted.
>
> Spam filtering is not just stopping our users from being pestered by
> unsolicited marketing of legitimate (or borderline fraudulent / shady)
> products.
>
> Stopping phishers, 419 scam artists etc from defrauding our customers.
> There's also -
>
> Conserving their bandwidth and connectivity costs
>        (earlier it used to be "metered dialup", these days, gprs / 3g on
> roaming)
>
> etc etc.
>
> > Advocating for "filtering devices" is tantamount to invoking spying on
> > the web. That is unsollicited services for the CIA and the KGB and I
> > do not think that they need it
>
> Please don't insult people who actually do this, and work to protect their
> users privacy when doing so, by comparing them to autocratic regimes trying
> to censor and restrict their users.  And, as a corollary, please don't
> insult the intelligence of this list by making such a patently wrong
> comparison.
>
>        srs

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22