[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Nov 14 11:58:20 EST 2007

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron wrote:

> This is within the  context that "net neutrality" bothers on freedom
> to communicate on the net and have such communication circulate freely

You forget that there is one undeniable limit to freedom of speech and
communication - the inalienable right to privacy.

Stopping spammers from violating our users privacy is what we do. And what
our users generally demand that we do, and complain - loudly - when we slip
up on our job. They equally complain just as loudly if they miss even one
legitimate email so the job of a responsible spam filtering provider is a
tightrope between these two .. with an eye on the ultimate objective of
actually getting our users the email they want, have asked for, and would be
annoyed and disappointed not to get - while at the same time keeping what
they COLLECTIVELY don't want out of their inboxes.

note: There's always some fine soul who believes he can attract women if he
buys the sex aids being advertised in spam, but when you balance him against
the majority of other users who would rather not receive such spam, well, he
is outvoted.

Spam filtering is not just stopping our users from being pestered by
unsolicited marketing of legitimate (or borderline fraudulent / shady)
products.

Stopping phishers, 419 scam artists etc from defrauding our customers.
There's also -

Conserving their bandwidth and connectivity costs
	(earlier it used to be "metered dialup", these days, gprs / 3g on
roaming)

etc etc.

> Advocating for "filtering devices" is tantamount to invoking spying on
> the web. That is unsollicited services for the CIA and the KGB and I
> do not think that they need it

Please don't insult people who actually do this, and work to protect their
users privacy when doing so, by comparing them to autocratic regimes trying
to censor and restrict their users.  And, as a corollary, please don't
insult the intelligence of this list by making such a patently wrong
comparison.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org