[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 11:45:57 EST 2007

Norbert bollow wrote

"Economically, it's the exact same kind of issue as with phone calls
and phone companies.  As an end user of the telephony system, I have
every right to decide that I don't want to talk with party X, and if
party X calls me anyway, I have every right to refuse to talk with
them.  However, the phone company does not have the right to make
that decision for their customers.

I don't object to email filtering in ways which are guaranteed to only
affect forged email (as determined e.g. by the DomainKeys system) and
unsolicited bulk email, but as soon as there is a risk of the filters
affecting human-to-human correspondece or solicited bulk email, things
are getting problematic, and even a low overall false positives rate
is IMO unacceptable if there is a pattern in how the false positives
are distributed and the pattern violates "net neutrality" principles."

I agree in toto.
This is within the  context that "net neutrality" bothers on freedom
to communicate on the net and have such communication circulate freely
without interception and also the liberty for each and every one to
receive or reject such writings.
Advocating for "filtering devices" is tantamount to invoking spying on
the web. That is unsollicited services for the CIA and the KGB and I
do not think that they need it
I am for a solution to web blocking by autocratic regimes like that of
Burma/Myrama clamping on Internet access for weeks
How can people cotail this so that the international community can
enforce checks and balances on some autocratic and kleptocratic
regimes around the world through the powerful tool that is the
Internet? Citizens of many countries have been empovrished by most of
these autocratic and kleptocratic regime and have caught hypochondria.
For them, the net remains that only missile that can wipe out these
devils out of their ways to glory. Ask the junta in Burma and they
will tell you that the internet is their nightmare
Aaron

On 11/14/07, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> Karl Auerbach wrote:
>
> > You have to be *extremely* careful - the way that the law you cited is
> > written makes the outcome very, very tightly tied to the way that the
> > factual situation fits the tricky definitions in the code.
>
> Oh, fully agree - but that is the closest you get to a code that provides
> for safe harbor, for good samaritan filtering efforts.  And these are on a
> best effort basis.
>
> > (There's an interesting reverse twist to this - companies here in the
> > US could be considered liable if they do not filter out bad stuff and it
> > causes an employee to consider himself/herself to be thus subject to
> > sexual harassment.)
>
> Under other laws certainly - OSHA regulations on workplace health / safety,
> HIPAA / COPPA / Sarbanes Oxley etc .. for businesses. Haven't seen a lot of
> those get applied to customers of email services / ISPs providing email.
>
> > But the picture I have in my mind is packet-forwarding providers,
> > whether near the edge or in the core, that decide to move up the stack
> > and add spam filtering.
>
> Well, as I mentioned somewhere upthread, there is precious little or none of
> that that goes on.  Unless that provider explicitly appears in an MX record,
> or is otherwise contracted to do so by the ISP that asks for such a service,
> that doesn't go on.
>
> > stream rate of 5 to 15 mbits/second was heavily multiplied].  I suspect
> > that the cumulative bit rate for video on the net is rather larger
> > these days, especially since IP multicast has kinda disappeared.
>
> Yup. See the mrtg graphs for video.google.com / limelight / youtube etc (at
> least some of this periodically turns up in nanog presentations)
>
> > But we're drifting a bit here - the point I started with we need to
> > find a way so that users can know what filters are being applied, have
> some
> > way of saying "no" (which perhaps might mean moving to another carrier),
>
> It just doesn't scale for ISPs to exempt specific users from a filter and
> provide a completely unfiltered feed. A good complaints / false positive
> handling process is of course needed, so that when there is a report of
> inappropriately blocked email, the filter or block that caused the email to
> be inappropriately blocked is addressed, or information given for why the
> block was appropriate (for example the blocked server was hacked into and
> used to relay spam).
>
>        srs

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22