AW: [governance] outcomes of CSTD Bureau meeting

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat May 26 13:08:01 EDT 2007

Interesting report, Kieren, thanks for it.
It is yet another example of how the lack of an institutionalized MAG
leads to a lack of fairness. Some people are told the meeting is closed,
others find out its open. The reason for opening it (to the select few
who happened to be in the know or who were hanging around that day) was
determined by some behind-the-scenes pressures.

Surely we can all see that this is a poor way to proceed.

>>> kierenmccarthy at gmail.com 5/25/2007 7:20:52 PM >>>
Wrt to the two days of meetings after the open 23 May meeting.

I'm sure we'll figure out what happened over time but from my
perspective:
Nitin Desai was put under pressure from a number of governments over
the
issue and influence of the Advisory Group during the 23 May meeting.

He downplayed the influence the Group had (read it on the transcript);
this
lead to the possibility that the two days of (closed) Advisory Group
meetings planned afterwards might be open. I asked at the end of the
Wednesday meeting whether the meeting would be open - no one was sure.

So I turned up on the Thursday morning to see if I would be turned
away
and/or if I would be asked to leave if I had sat down.

Nitin then made it clear at the start of the meeting that it was an
open
meeting (although you wouldn't know that unless you were already in the
room
- and the room number required chasing down). There was an exchange
with
Janis Karklins over this because Janis wished to invite people in if
indeed
it was open.

Clearly something was happening behind the scenes. I don't know what it
was.
But I did think that the meeting themselves were the most interesting
of the
whole IGF process so far.

Kieren
(speaking as an individual)