AW: [governance] outcomes of CSTD Bureau meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat May 26 23:35:20 EDT 2007

>Interesting report, Kieren, thanks for it.
>It is yet another example of how the lack of an institutionalized MAG
>leads to a lack of fairness. Some people are told the meeting is closed,
>others find out its open. The reason for opening it (to the select few
>who happened to be in the know or who were hanging around that day) was
>determined by some behind-the-scenes pressures.

Nitin /Markus still had some hope at the end of the Wednesday
consultation that the SG's office would issue a press release about
membership of the advisory group overnight.  Had that happened then
the private advisory group meeting would have taken place as planned.

Thursday morning, no news from New York, Nitin had no option but to
hold an open meeting. No inside pressure, Nitin simply said in the
situation he had no right to hold a private meeting so called it
open.  That's how the UN is in such situations.

Best I remember (Jeanette I think agrees, Ralf disagrees) the
electronic sign boards in the Palais used to announce the days'
schedule showed the meeting as Open.  The boards give details of all
meetings going on that day (meeting name, room, status etc.)  The
sign on the door of the meeting said open.  As soon as Nitin made the
announcement in the meeting itself Avri sent a note to the governance
list.

Not a matter of insiders and select few. Just circumstance.

>Surely we can all see that this is a poor way to proceed.

It surly is poor way to succeed, costly too... But no one I spoke to
in Geneva could think what the problem in New York might be.  It was
unusual.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org