[governance] Re: AW: outcomes of CSTD Bureau meeting

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri May 25 12:50:28 EDT 2007

I appreciate Jeanette's wise observation below.

The German political philosopher Max Weber gave some comfort, it seems, to come to grips with the scenario - he pointed at a common progression, from charismatic leadership to routinized bureaucracy.  When understood as a process, not unexpected, the essence becomes attention to the details of routinization, from leader to bureaucracy.

Writ large, this particular case is the expansion of power-sharing, from among just governments to a new world where other societal actors have some say also.  As such, it is not a small thing.

As said any number of times before, CS's ability to present itself as a model for power sharing, in its own structure and behavior, will likely be prerequisite.  Those with the power currently, who naturally are skeptical, may then have basis to consider partnering and further steps along the progression.

Nor will we want to miss an irony:  The occasion for innovation is in the early part.  Once we get to routine bureaucracy, we have to wait - if we want more change - until the next revolution ...  It pays to get it thoughtfully right, of course through some experimentation, particularly early on, as we go through.  Representation, legitimacy, and the like, are not-small problematics.

Such progressions have their own genesis in a real issue.  Here (at least one part) that is the simmering tension around globalization of rule-setting for some key Internet stuff.  The drivers for that will not go away, if anything they will grow even more insistent.  The pressures for action on this larger front could make it more difficult to work artfully on the nearer-in front (call both 'power distribution' - but each with its own circumstance).

And there is also a recursive quality to the logic.  The same progression will likely characterize both foreground and background.  Again then, movement in one can confound prospects in the other, though fortunately that does not have to be.

David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org