AW: [governance] outcomes of CSTD Bureau meeting

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri May 25 06:33:07 EDT 2007

Ralf Bendrath wrote:
> Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>> The longer New York waits with any announcement regarding the future of
>> the advisory group, the more contested its informal status will become.
> The MAG does not exist anymore, and it seems to tranform into an informal
> consultation process with no webcast nor scribes - at least that is the
> status quo at the moment.
>
>  From what you write, Jeanette, would you also subscribe to this?
> "The longer New York waits with any announcement regarding the future of
> the IGF organizing structure, the more contested Nitin's (and the SG's)
> status will become."

Hi Ralf, certainly not. And I never meant to imply that in case there
has been any misunderstanding.
What I realized only the last two days here in Geneva is how very
fragile this whole process still is.
The entire preparatory process with several open consultations, an
advisory group, Nitin's and Markus' reports to New York and various back
and forth interactions cannot be taken for granted. There are several
groups who would like to replace this very informal process by something
more constitutionalized. Among them certainly some countries such as
Russia and China and also some civil society people or groups.

On a principle level, I would always argue for a more formal, rule
driven process. The reason would be that in the long run I think one
should never solely rely on the personal integrity of the people
involved. Nitin and Markus might not be around forever, and we will
probably fully realize only afterwards how much this whole process owes
to them. Rules may serve as a safety net against all kinds of
undesirable behavior.

On a practical level, things look slightly different. A formalization of
the process at this point implies the danger of killing it altogether.
It is anyone's guess how small or large this danger is. My sense is that
the forum and its preparatory process will eventually become more
formalized. However, like the forum itself, this could happen as an
experimental process where things can be tried out like, for example,
new membership mechanism as Avri suggested. We need to keep in mind
though that governments, international organizations, private sector and
civil society governments all have different recruiting practices with
various rationalities involved, and that it won't be easy to find some
common ground here.
I would thus argue for a slow pace if possible to avoid dammaging this
precious new process and to give it a chance to come with innovative
solutions to old procedural problems (representation, legitimacy,
transparency, accountability, etc, etc) that would find support among
all the actors involved.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org