[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:22:41 EDT 2007

On 5/14/07, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> Mr. Robert Guerra wrote:
> > The recent discussion seems to be focusing on Q1 of the RFC.
>
> As we address the general topic of internet governance, we should
> consider how to inject a grasp of reality into the bodies of IG that are
> created.
>
> With regard to Q6, there is an intriguing discussion in the IETF and IP
> address areas, in which at least to former IETF chairs, and many others,
> are carrying on a discussion that includes an implicit presumption that
> the IETF, not ICANN, is body that directs IANA with respect to IP
> address policy and allocations.

I think you have mis-characterised the disccussion.

Given that the RIRs are doining a pretty decent job and that ICANN's IP
> address policy is best described as "when a RIR asks, IANA shall grant",

probably not as fast as the RIR would like

it makes sense that IP address policy be elided from ICANN's job
> description.

I don't see how one follows from another?

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim