[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon May 14 14:28:27 EDT 2007

Mr. Robert Guerra wrote:
> The recent discussion seems to be focusing on Q1 of the RFC.

As we address the general topic of internet governance, we should
consider how to inject a grasp of reality into the bodies of IG that are
created.

With regard to Q6, there is an intriguing discussion in the IETF and IP
address areas, in which at least to former IETF chairs, and many others,
are carrying on a discussion that includes an implicit presumption that
the IETF, not ICANN, is body that directs IANA with respect to IP
address policy and allocations.

Given that the RIRs are doining a pretty decent job and that ICANN's IP
address policy is best described as "when a RIR asks, IANA shall grant",
it makes sense that IP address policy be elided from ICANN's job
description.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org