[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun May 13 21:41:02 EDT 2007

Veni Markovski wrote:
> At 16:44 5/13/2007  -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>> Lest anyone think this sort of openness is idealistic or impossible,
>> let me assure you that the state of Florida -- and every single
>> regional and local governmental entity -- operates under rules of
>> near-total transparency under the "Sunshine" provisions of the state
>> constitution. It is an existence proof of concept.

> So, let's see if you will put that into language that can be used to
> contribute to ICANN.
> I am sure that if you suggest it, with enough arguments, and if all
> directors agree, and if money is put into the budget, this can be make
> possible. Of course, needless to say, current directors, who have agreed
> to serve without being e*avesdropped*, should all agree to that.

You require concrete language?  OK.  Here's the concrete language that I
wrote in year 2003 that you reject out of hand.

Recommendation: All meetings of the Board of Directors and of its
committees should be audio-recorded and made available to the public. No
matter may be elided except after an on-record decision that a
particular matter should be discussed off the audio recording.  Only
matters pertaining to personnel matters, litigation (or potential
litigation), and contract negotiations may be discussed off the audio
record.

How much will it cost?  Nothing.  There have been offers by serious
members of the community to do this on a gratis basis.  How much would
it cost were ICANN to use one of its own staff members to do it?
Perhaps $500 one time cost for equipment plus a few cents per century to
store it onto the ICANN website.

As far as "evesdropping" goes - that is a ridiculous argument.  It is an
argument that would justify utter secrecy in any and all bodies of
governance.  As I said previously, if any board member of ICANN, or any
other body of internet governance is afraid of having the community hear
what that person is doing in their name, then that person should resign
and open the way for someone who is willing to do the job.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org