[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun May 13 22:00:28 EDT 2007

At 18:41 5/13/2007  -0700, you wrote:
>Recommendation: All meetings of the Board of Directors and of its
>committees should be audio-recorded and made available to the
>public. No matter may be elided except after an on-record decision
>that a particular matter should be discussed off the audio
>recording.  Only matters pertaining to personnel matters, litigation
>(or potential litigation), and contract negotiations may be
>discussed off the audio record.

So, this is really funny. The fact that I'd disagree with you on that
makes you believe I am wrong. But that doesn't change anything. What
you need to do, is to suggest it as a change in the bylaws, and see
if this will happen. If it happens, from now on every director would
know their words will be recorded. And you will be hearing much more
of the native-English speakers speaking at the Board meetings -
that's for sure. I've talked to many of my former colleagues; if they
don't feel comfortable, they would stay quiet. Then we will all
wonder why X voted that way, since he/she didn't express any opinion
on the audio-recording.

>As far as "evesdropping" goes - that is a ridiculous argument.  It
>is an argument that would justify utter secrecy in any and all
>bodies of governance.  As I said previously, if any board member of
>ICANN, or any other body of internet governance is afraid of having
>the community hear what that person is doing in their name, then
>that person should resign and open the way for someone who is
>willing to do the job.

... and as I said also previously, you shouldn't change the rules in
the middle of the game, and say, "well, it was soccer, but now it's
football" (to use some American English). Have you been eavesdropped
for 14 years of your life? Have the secret service of the US Treasury
written reports about every move of yours? Have you been forbidden to
travel abroad (which reminds me - what is your international
experience, as I couldn't find on your web anything on that; I am not
trying to be mean - I just want to know how well you know East
Europe/Russia for example). Can you speak based on experience, or you
just have some knowledge from reading the US media and books? I'd
agree with you, if you've actually seen in your file your neighbour
spying on what you said, or when you've travelled abroad, and have
made an innocent statement, to see it reported back to the Secret
Service, with potential danger for your freedom. Etc, etc. When you
say that my argument is ridiculous - please, make your case better,
than just sayin something, which you've stated before, which - by the
way, has already been addressed by me.

veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org