[governance] Just for fun Question

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Fri May 4 02:37:05 EDT 2007

Hi

> Enlighten me , where would "You" put the home of Justice?

I wouldn't call it enlightnment, but will give it a shot. How about
Botswana (Courts)?

They have over the years shown courage in the face of admirable odds,
especially the recent ruling in favour of the San community that had
been evicted from their ancestral lands in the Central Kalahari Game
Reserve. Although the fact went fairly unreported in the world media,
it is a victory for minorities and indigenous/ aboriginal peoples all
over the world.

On the opposing side were the Government of Botswana and the powerful
De Beers group, much as they might want to convince that their mining
interests in the area have nothing to do with the government's
decision to evict the San (commonly known as "The Bushmen", made
'famous' in the movie "The Gods must be Crazy" and sequels.

The San are themselves a paragon of justice, one of the humblest
people on earth, with a moral-philosophical tradition that commands
respect and admiration.

So, whereas it would be impractical to have this 'capital' in the Game
Reserve, the city of Lobatse, seat of the Botswana High Court, would
be my virtual vote.

Regards,
Rui

PS: I tried googling for a "justice world ranking", such as there is
one for press freedom (and yesterday was World Press Freedom Day), but
could find only ranking that take crime and justice together, which
distorts reality. You could have a very criminal or law-abiding
society in a country with an exemplary or rotten adminitration of
justice.

So, if anyone knows of a ranking that evaluates administration of
justice only, please enlighten.

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa