[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue May 1 22:56:03 EDT 2007

Jeremy,
True, standards and protocols are part of IG, but to throw ICANN
discussions (which deal with resource assignment and allocation issues)
into the same pot as IETF/W3C/IEEE, which deals with a completely
different set of issues, would broaden the discussion to the point that
it would lose focus and loosen its relation to the Tunis Agenda
significantly.

>>> Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au 5/1/2007 9:36:50 PM >>>
If we were to take such a broader view, why not change "name and number

resources are administered by" to "technical coordination and standards

development takes place through", and then add another couple of your
examples such as the IETF and W3C.

In favour of this is that the development of standards and protocols is

an Internet governance issue, which frequently does have public policy

implications just as ICANN's role of technical coordination does.
Think
of the W3C's P3P and PICS, and the IETF's policy on wiretapping, not to

mention IPsec, Punycode, ENUM and SPF, just off the top of my head.

Against it is that the TA only explicitly talks about critical Internet

resources, which has always been taken as a reference to domain names
and IP addresses rather than other Internet protocol numbers and
standards and protocols in general.  But certainly the TA is general
enough in paragraphs 72(b) and (c) to encompass a broader role.

(To avoid confusion, if this suggestion does not find favour then I am

equally happy to abide by Milton's revision and/or Karl's amendment to
it.)

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org