[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed May 2 08:08:32 EDT 2007

Milton might know unpublished details of the committee's report I do
not, but what has been published says only what the model would not be
-- "treaty" or "intergovernmental" organization. It does not imply what
Milton concludes. It is up to the internal debate within ICANN to define
this outcome, and I hope at least NCUC and ALAC (spaces for civil
society) will fight for an internationalization with clear global and
multistakeholder accountability.

--c.a.

Milton Mueller wrote:

>> especially now that even an internal high-level committee is
>> telling ICANN it should seriously consider internationalization.
>
> Just an aside. We must be careful and precise in our use of words and
> concept in this area.
>
> By "internationalization" ICANN's management basically means "how do we
> escape US law and litigation and free ourselves even more from political
> accountability?"
>
> By "internationalization" I (and probably most of us on this list)
> mean, "how do we _increase_  global accountability by replacing US
> unilateral oversight with a more globalized governance arrangement?"

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
http://www.rits.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org