[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue May 1 03:22:48 EDT 2007

Jeremy, Bill:

thanks for spotting the draft programme outline and schedule were
online -- I had an old page stuck in cache and didn't see them.

Draft program description
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Rio_Meeting/DraftProgramme.30.04.2007.rtf>
Draft schedule <http://www.intgovforum.org/Draft_Rio_Schedual.html>

Most important to note these words describing these two drafts:

"The documents aim to provide an input into the open round of
consultations on 23 May 2007 to discuss programme and agenda for the
second meeting of the IGF in Rio de Janeiro.  The programme outline
will be revised in light of comments received. Comments submitted to
the IGF Secretariat (igf at unog.ch) or posted in our online discussion
section by 17 May 2007 will be reflected in a revised version."

It will be revised.  Had we got comments in earlier, perhaps we'd
have less to complain about now.

A couple of points.

1.  Does the caucus wish to see "Internet resource management" as a
theme for a main session?

Unless someone can suggest why such issues are not appropriate as
core elements of the IGF agenda, I suggest the caucus sends email as
soon is reasonable to the IGF Secretariat saying something to the
effect that "core Internet resources should be discussed as a main
session".  Just send the email now.  It does not need to be
embellished if there is general agreement that such discussion is
essential.  Other recommendations can be made later.  Don't make it
complicated, if we agree these issues need to be on the agenda, send
email within a few days saying so.

Don't waste months as we did trying to get a simple questions out
about enhanced cooperation.

2. Bill don't give up on what are good ideas.  In February, the caucus wrote:

"For example, Comments F and I required the IGF to discuss the good
principles of Internet governance as agreed in Tunis and how to fully
implement them inside all existing governance processes, including how
to facilitate participation by disadvantaged stakeholders such as
developing countries, civil society, and individual users."

Para 72 remains the mandate of the the IGF.  Seems agreement of a
simple statement about these issues should not be hard to produce.
Simple language.  Might slightly harder to draft than a comment on
the need for discussion about "core resources" but not hard.  Once a
recommendation is agreed, let's send it.  We're wasting time.

Perhaps request they be part of emerging issues (30 minutes, with
associated sub-theme workshops?)  Don't limit comments for workshops
to the 4 main themes (that's a good suggestion: we propose sub-theme
workshops for each main theme), what should be discussed in emerging
issues?  And  a "Topical Issue"  in Internet Governance, what might
that be?  There are a bunch of them here
<http://internetgovernance.org/events.html#Symposium_051707> (see
also the email Brenden sent to the list earlier, item 8 in the
newsletter), but if we don't propose them we'll probably see it
develop as a session discussing more access related issues.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org