[governance] Desirable vs undue commercial and government involvement

Ronda Hauben ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:26:31 EDT 2007

The discussion originated in referring to what is happening in Africa in the
attempts to develop the infrastructure for the Internet in different
countries like Rwanda and on the African continent.

I am suggesting that this is a scientific problem, not a problem of getting
enough commercial investment, which is how the problem seems to be
approached in the few things I have seen regarding it.

So its not only as you say here what is the role for the commercial entity
and for government, but the question of whether we can agree its a
scientific problem and that creating the proper environment to solve such a
problem is where the role of government and the commercial sector need to be
determined.

Thanks for trying to clarify.

Ronda

On 7/23/07, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Ronda Hauben <ronda.netizen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > During the early development of the Internet there was an AUP - an
> > Acceptible Use Policy.
> >
> > This was a means of restricting commercial participation and political
> > pressure.
>
> Obviously applying the same kind of AUP to today's internet is neither
> feasible nor desirable.
>
> However, let's try to figure out what kinds of commercial participation
> and government involvements are desirable and what kinds should not be
> considered acceptable.
>
> When we have clarity about all that, we can discuss possible measures
> for increasing that which is desirable and decreasing that which should
> not be considered acceptable.
>
> Gruss,
> Norbert.
>

> --
> Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                    http://Norbert.ch
> Präsident der Swiss Internet User Group SIUG        http://SIUG.ch
> Die SIUG engagiert sich für den Schutz der Privatsphäre und dafür,
> dass auch in Zukunft das Internet auf offenen Standards basiert.

Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook