[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] ECOSOC reviewing WSIS follow up and implementation: CSTD, UNGIS, ALF, IGF, GAID

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 18 12:19:42 EDT 2007

Hi All

This is regarding the discussions we have been having on the SG's report to
ECOSOC and the mention in it of consultations for the process of enhanced
cooperation for global public policy regarding the Internet.

It is fine if we request CONGO to add the following on the behalf of the IGC
in its statement.

This is in reference to the SG's report stating that, and we quote,
"Consultations are under way to start a process towards enhanced cooperation
among all relevant stakeholders with regard to Internet governance, as
requested by the Summit". Para 71 of the Tunis Agenda clearly states that "

the process towards enhanced cooperation, ...will involve all stakeholders".
However, the Civil Society IG Caucus notes with concern that civil society
has not been involved at all in the consultations mentioned in the SG's
report. We do not even have any information about this consultation, despite
directly requesting the SG office regarding it.

We request ECOSOC to ensure that the multistakeholder principle in WSIS
follow-up is fully adhered to as per WSIS documents, in general spirit, and
in specific mandates as in case of the process towards enhanced cooperation,
where as mentioned above, the WSIS injunction for multistakeholder
involvement is clearly not being complied with. The caucus will like to be
invited to and involved in these consultations, along with other civil
society groups. Since a lot of civil society groups interested in IG issues
converge at IGF meeting, holding such consultations on the sidelines of the
IGF meeting may be useful. We will also like to be kept updated on the
consultations with other stakeholders.

(ends)

This has to go to CONGO by 22nd. So if we need to seek consensus over 21st
and 22nd, we have only 19th and 20th for comments and amendments. Thanks

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890