[governance] Re: Location of Rio IGF

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Sat Feb 17 22:52:25 EST 2007

Hey folks,

My wife's Brazilian, without knowing all specifics here's how it sounds to me: the hotel is away from city center,  sounds relatively safe, but pricey area. Taxis on the other hand are reasonable in Brazil, but yes price escalation may happen if you act too obviously clueless.

Just guessing here, but there should be some downmarket properties out there too, but yeah Rio is a major tourist destination and they make tourists pay world market prices for accommadations. If Carlos doesn;t have specific suggestions a cs type in rio could scout the neigborhood. Or perhaps my pal Antonio Botelho of PUC-Rio could weigh in here on the environs of http://www.windsorhoteis.com.br/en-us/conv.asp?hid=23 ?

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

Adam Peake schrieb:
> Vittorio, Ralf:
>
> I'll ask for clarification on cost and location. Though Carlos may be
> the most reliable and informed source.  Would be good if someone could
> describe the neighbourhood around the hotel.

I raised this point with Carlos in Geneva.

My concern is that security related precautions focus on the expensive
conference venue while civil society people have to stay elsewhere. This
may cause problems especially for women.
The organizers promised shuttle buses. We really need to insist that
they run frequently, and that the shuttle service will be organized in a
more efficient way than in Tunis. (I remember that night where, after
having been driven around for more than an hour, the driver insisted
that Izumi leaves the bus because he wasn't in the mood to do an extra
tour to his hotel...)
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org