[governance] Re: Location of Rio IGF (was: points discussed on the Feb 12th meeting of the Advisory group)

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Feb 16 18:40:04 EST 2007

Vittorio, Ralf:

I'll ask for clarification on cost and location.
Though Carlos may be the most reliable and
informed source.  Would be good if someone could
describe the neighbourhood around the hotel.

Last week the advisory group made clear to the
Brazilian hosts that there must be low cost quick
food available during the meeting, and affordable
accommodation is important (I think we can expect
Brazil to understand this.)

On the location.

Looking for facilities capable of holding a
meeting or around 2000 people. We need a modern
environment that can handle demands for power and
Internet access.  We want more varied space
options than were offered in Athens.  The meeting
will be free, and like Athens I expect those
wishing to hold events (workshops, reasonable
side events) will not be charged (I don't know
this for a fact, just following what happened in
Athens - another thing to check.)  So we should
be thoughtful when making comments about cost.

I think we can expect all IGF locations to be
somewhat up-market.  The local host is hosting UN
meeting with all that entails (including
security.)  They will be inviting other
governments and their representatives, we can
expect to see all IGFs anchored around facilities
a govt would like to invite other governments to.
Highly unlikely any IGF will be located in a
"cheap" neighborhood (what conference ever is?)
At the same time, because the host will pick up
the full cost of the event we shouldn't be
surprised if they are not located in prime
downtown locations but some smart but cheaper
(cheaper for the facility) slightly out of the
way place.

Athens was an awkward location, but there was an
affordable (mid-range -- 80 Euro/$100) hotel 50
meters away, other cheaper places were served by
buses.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org