[governance] Statement for Feb 13, version 2

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 08:06:01 EST 2007

Hi Bill,

On 2/11/07, William Drake <drake at hei.unige.ch> wrote:

> We have indeed discussed this repeatedly and there's no need to reconstruct
> again the historical meaning of the term, the way CS is commonly understood
> in all other global policy spaces and institutionalized in UN and other
> processes, or the stratagems that have led to it being rendered problematic
> and mysterious here, unless the objective is simply to reignite old debates
> and run out the clock on a caucus statement.  I would suggest a simple
> solution: insert "coalition that came together during the WSIS process" in
> the statement, i.e. "dissatisfaction [with] the very limited representation
> of the civil society coalition that came together during the WSIS process."
> That is after all what Vittorio is really referring to

Well if we want to be truly honest, then why don't we say
"dissatisfaction [with] the very limited representation of a
like-minded subset of the civil society coalition that came together
during the WSIS process."  Or to be perfectly frank "we are whinging
because not enough of us were chosen"

My point was, why don't we just NOT whinge, it sounds like sour
grapes, and seems fruitless!

, and it factually
> uncontestable that ISOC

ummm who said anything about them?  Perhaps it's from your parallel universe ;-)

> was not part of that coalition and generally
> promoted positions that were at odds with those of both the caucus and the
> larger WSIS CS assemblage,

Which doesn't necessarily mean they were wrong at the time.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim