[governance] Statement for Feb 13, version 2

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 11 10:14:39 EST 2007

Seconding Bill, I too call upon members to try and evolve a consensus on the
proposed statement. We agree that we could have done better - with more lead
time, more discussions etc, and we - as coordinators - will learn our
lessons and do better the next time. However, it must be said that the
proposed statement was open for comments for quite a few days, and those of
us who (rightly) care for our views to be considered for inclusion should
respond in good time...

We will also try to evolve processes so that people are sounded out more
frequently and with more time...

The present statement generally consists of such elements that have had some
agreement in this group over time... Some may want more to be included, and
some of the things to be said with greater force. It will be good to list
these points separately (not necessarily for inclusion in the present
hopefully consensual statement) and let IGC members who are attending the
meeting take them up at the meeting.

Apart from its substantive weight, making a statement on the behalf of the
caucus is also procedurally important, and we should keep that imperative in
mind.

Thanks. Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore