[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Feb 8 13:14:22 EST 2007

veni markovski ha scritto:
>> to say that no comparison is possible throws out almost all of
>> current business theory.  (which sounds like something i am more
>> likely to do then you.)
>
> Well, I try not to compare businesses which are different in their
> foundation, regardless of the fact that they seem similar.

Ok, I will then clarify my comparison.

To run a low-budget, no-frills TLD registry (with no registrars in the
middle, such as .eu.org, or such as all those ccTLDs that were still
using InterNIC's email forms a few years ago) you possibly need an
online set of forms that authenticate end users and let them enter
information into a database, which then, whenever someone connects to
the servers with a DNS client, is interrogated by pieces of software
that automatically generate a DNS reply. All of this with the highest
throughput, redundancy and reliability possible.

To run Wikipedia, instead, you need an online set of forms that
authenticate end users and let them enter information into a database,
which then, whenever someone connects to the servers with an HTTP
client, is interrogated by pieces of software that automatically
generate an HTTP reply. All of this with the highest throughput,
redundancy and reliability possible.

Assuming that you're doing the service for free and so there is no
billing or customer relationships, what's the difference among the two?

(I guess that your issue is that you see the two things from a business
side, where they appear different, while I am seeing them from the
technical side, where they are almost identical; unfortunately, while
you can't have the business side without having the technical side
attached behind, the fact that you put a business side on top of the
technical side is entirely optional.)
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------