[governance] Running a registry: child play or huge work? (Was: ICANN taxes/fees

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Wed Feb 7 05:04:34 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 06:17:55PM -0500,
 Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> >Registries are not difficult to run,
>
> Could you continue talking on this subject? Is it based on commercial
> practices, or on existing registries, or on academic research?

Since I run a registry (do not worry, I am not alone), may I express
an opinion?

The original sentence "Registries are not difficult to run" is
obviously very exaggerated. I would not deserve my salary if
registries were easy to run. But I believe that Vittorio explained
clearly his views:

> I think there'd be space for smaller non-profit or community-based
> TLDs, where perhaps you don't get fully fledged customer service,

So, to emphasize what Vittorio said, running a registry is neither
"easy" or "difficult", it is "it depends on your requirments". Running
".com" is a lot of technical, commercial and legal work. Running
".bortzmeyer" with twenty subdomains for my family and friends and no
reliability requirment would be much easier, I could do it on my home
PC with a few text (no, XML, we're in 2007) files.

I agree with Vittorio and Milton that ICANN should *not* prevent
"light" "alternative" registries with no "fully fledged customer
service" to run a TLD. There is no reason for such limitation to big
companies.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org