[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 13:28:29 EST 2007

Now, about Parminder's observations on IG mysteries and "digital
enforcement," I just happen to be reading the following from Jack
Goldsmith and Tim Wu, "Who Controls the Internet?", 2006, MIT Press.

"Not only does the domain name system affect valuable
Internet-related property rights, it also has the potential to serve
as a powerful tool of Internet enforcementad to shape the nature of
the Internet itself. As country clubs and medical associations know
well, control over membership is a powerful tool for making people
follow rules. Already today, a basic form of such enforcement is used
to protect registered trademarks on the Internet. If you somehow
managed to register harrypotter.com, Warner Brothers or J.K. Rowling
[author of the book] could complain to the Internet naming authority,
and you'd quickly lose the name. No court, no trial; simply a direct
divestiture of the domain name. It's a prime example of what David
Johnson calls "electronic," as opposed to physical, force.
The power over domain names and numbers could also be used as broader
enforcement tool against other types of unwanted conduct. As we'll
see in chapter 5, the U.S. government demands divestiture of domain
names and IP addresses for offenses like selling drug paraphernalia
or copyright infringement. One can imagine a future where divestiture
of IP addresses is a common form of enforcement. As punishment,
individuals, institutions, or even whole countries could lose domain
names, IP addresses, or even Internet membership.
This is why root authority matters. But how exactly does one "get" or
"hold" this authority? No one understands the answer to this question
completely. Stated most simply, root authority is the power to issue
orders respecting domain names and numbers and have those orders
obeyed. There are many ways such power might arise: from reputation,
from actual administration of the computers in question, or from
legal authority. In truth, the system long operated without a clear
idea of exactly who held the ultimate power over the root, or why."

We probably have a clearer idea now since WSIS, .xxx version 1, etc.
Probably even before, from late 1990s, with Jon Postel's
misadventures with the "root," the "MoUvement," and the early ISOC
attempt to launch an International Council of Registrars as am
Internet private-global governance body.

Finally, I guess it's no mystery that one of our fellow member,
Milton Muller, and his Internet Governance Project have written at
length about how the DNS (as a technical system) can be and is used
to leverage public policy issues.

Regards,

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org