[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 17:27:28 EST 2007

Don't believe everything you read (comments inline):

On 2/4/07, Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Now, about Parminder's observations on IG mysteries and "digital
> enforcement," I just happen to be reading the following from Jack
> Goldsmith and Tim Wu, "Who Controls the Internet?", 2006, MIT Press.
>
> "Not only does the domain name system affect valuable
> Internet-related property rights, it also has the potential to serve
> as a powerful tool of Internet enforcementad to shape the nature of
> the Internet itself. As country clubs and medical associations know
> well, control over membership is a powerful tool for making people
> follow rules. Already today, a basic form of such enforcement is used
> to protect registered trademarks on the Internet. If you somehow
> managed to register harrypotter.com, Warner Brothers or J.K. Rowling
> [author of the book] could complain to the Internet naming authority,

They could complain.

> and you'd quickly lose the name.

not necessarily, what if your name WAS Harry Potter??

> No court, no trial; simply a direct
> divestiture of the domain name.

It doesn't quite work like that.

http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp.htm

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/guide/index.html

It's a prime example of what David
> Johnson calls "electronic," as opposed to physical, force.
> The power over domain names and numbers could also be used as broader
> enforcement tool against other types of unwanted conduct. As we'll
> see in chapter 5, the U.S. government demands divestiture of domain
> names and IP addresses for offenses like selling drug paraphernalia
> or copyright infringement. One can imagine a future where divestiture
> of IP addresses is a common form of enforcement. As punishment,
> individuals, institutions, or even whole countries could lose domain
> names, IP addresses, or even Internet membership.

This is complete bollocks.  There is no mechanism for "divestiture" of
IP addresses, and if there were, they are not allocated/assigned on a
country by country basis.

--
Cheers,

McTim