[governance] Statement for the Feb 13 meeting

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Thu Feb 1 20:36:54 EST 2007

Thanks for this Vittorio.

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> The Internet Governance Caucus, as the main coordination framework for
> civil society participation in Internet governance discussions at the
> WSIS and then at the IGF, would like to provide feedback and opinions on
> the subjects of this meeting.

At WSIS more so than the IGF, but anyway...

> Workshops were usually interesting, though some effort should be made to
> better integrate them with the overall themes and flow of discussions of
> the IGF. Specifically, it should be ensured that all workshops meet the
> multi-stakeholder criteria, and that at least half of their duration is
> allocated to open floor discussion rather than to panel presentations,
> to prevent some workshops from becoming just a showcase for the
> organizers, or a lobbying event for a single group of stakeholders.

Suggest adding here: "Alternative formats for workshops should be
facilitated to limit this tendency.  For example, one room should be
laid out in table groups, to allow workshops held there to foster
intensive deliberation on the issues under discussion, rather than
encouraging the passive receipt of information.  Again, one room could
be laid out with computer terminals allowing participants to directly
engage with remote participants in the use or collaborative development
of online tools and resources."

> About the Advisory Group, while supporting the concept, we express our
> dissatisfaction for the very limited representation of civil society in
> its first instance, which amounted to five or less members over about
> forty.

It seems that the technical and academic communities may have been
regarded as part of civil society (see
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2006/sga1006.doc.htm), but even
accepting that they are a cross-cutting constituency (as per WGIG and
Tunis Agenda para 36), this would mean that they include part of the
quota of members from the private sector and civil society.  Since
neither WGIG nor WSIS accepted the technical community as a stakeholder
group on its own account, is it too late to effectively be arguing that now?

An alternative approach for the short-term would be to say:

"We are dissatisfied that the criteria for selection of Advisory Group
members, and the composition of the Advisory Group including the
proportionate representation of stakeholder groups and the cross-cutting
technical and academic communities, were not openly and transparently
discussed prior to the Advisory Group's appointment.  We further
consider that if these criteria and the quotas for representation from
each stakeholder group were openly established, it would be possible for
the Secretary General to delegate the actual process of selection of
Advisory Group members to the stakeholder groups themselves."

> We also reiterate the need for the IGF to be considered as a process,
> rather than as an event. We support the concept of “dynamic coalitions”
> and their activities; however, there needs to be a way to “bless” their
> work and give some recognition, even if not binding, to their products.

Add here, "A transparent, multi-stakeholder and democratic process
should be commenced to develop criteria for the recognition of Dynamic
Coalitions by the IGF, whereby the output of Coalitions that satisfied
those criteria could be formally received for discussion at a plenary
session of the following IGF meeting."

Also suggest adding, but as a separate point, "We also consider that
insufficient priority has been given to supporting the development of
online fora for discussion and deliberation, not only to facilitate the
participation of those who cannot afford to travel to IGF meetings, but
also to enable those who do attend in person to continue their work in
between meetings."

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org