[governance] What Will Happen [@ NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?]

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Dec 15 03:09:21 EST 2007

yehudakatz at mailinator.com wrote:

>> Regular expressions are amazingly tricky things. I really doubt that many
> users >of ENUM are really going to have a mastery of regular expressions. And
> errors in >those expressions are going to be rather difficult to diagnose.
>
> I see it:
> As Manufactures produce devices, they assign the devices a unique ENUM,

That's not the way ENUM works.

One can not assign "a unique ENUM" any more than one can build a home
firewall/router and assign it a unique IP address or build a mobile
phone and at the factory assign it a unique telephone number.

ENUM is a mapping system, it translates from one naming space to
another.  It takes active administration to set up those mappings.  For
simple voice-to-voice mapping that administrative task can perhaps be
assisted with automated tools, but for mappings in which the same target
"number" is mapped to different real targets based on the requirements
of the initiating device, that gets into a land where "plug and play" is
going to be foreign concept.

Internet governance requires a firm and clear comprehension of the
technology that it is attempting to govern.  Absent deep understanding
of the technology there is a serious risk in internet governance that we
will end up with the internet equivalent of legislation that requires
that the value of pi be be 3.0.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org