[governance] What Will Happen [@ NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?]

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Fri Dec 14 23:30:23 EST 2007

>Thanks for the kind explanation,  Yehuda, but still I am wondering
>how 700 MHz thing is the "model to follow for the rest of the world"
>It might be, but may not be.

(Izumi, Suresh, this may only make sense to the American market)

Well … I think it will follow the path of Television, if not only for the
ancestral connection of Television to the 700-MHz spectrum. The ability of
broadcasting (Push) digital content over the 700-MHz spectrum will enable
connectivity to Internet, even if only in transmission mode.

Think of it as Land-based digital radio/television, but you can select a wide
variety of channels and interact (respond).

Transceiver mode may be difficult outside certain zones, where a device signal
cannot be picked locally and sent back (respond), so it maybe that places way
out in the field it is possible to receive digital signal, but not to send.

A 700 MHz Hot Spot (or National spectrum equivalent) in places like Townships
and Urban Slum area, will be a great way to connect Pople

Here’s an example of a problem area:
http://www.un.org/Pubs/chronicle/2006/issue2/0206p32.htm

Take a look at the photo, These Slums and Villages can only be reached
economically with a system like 700-MHz system, basically a Wireless
distribution.
I bet you if there is electricity and a signal, someone has a TV there.
(look for the Antennas)

And if someone has a TV there, then with a X00-MHz digital distribution system
the Internet can reach Someone with a Hand-held-device, or a
Solar-charged-Device.

So I see it as a "model to follow for the rest of the world". Yes I do.

>And if that is SO important I would first ask our North American colleagues
>to react than the rest of the world. And I still see it is not quite related
>directly to the ICANN's scope for AtLarge at least in immediate sense.

It is not I suppose  … but trends start here(In the West/US) and eventually
catch on Globally. It is the coming reality here in the US, so I think it does
apply to ‘local priorities’ of the NARALO. The rest of the RALO's would be wise
to take a heads up approch, and be a-tune with the emerging technology.

> I am not saying it is not important at all, but I would like things to be
sorted out in a clear and structured manner. Otherwise it is confusing and not
productive -
and (mis) shooting the friends rather than the enemy.

I’m not saying that Nuestar or the 700 MHz technology associated with
connecting the Internet is a*bad thing*.

Rather I’m being precautious, because what ever the future holds, I’d like to
see the People in charge.

That means to me having the RALOs prepared with an understanding of what the
potential of this and future technology can do. So if need be we stand a
fighting chance to make reasonable argument. Now’s the time to take a
foot-hold.

Karl,
>Regular expressions are amazingly tricky things. I really doubt that many
users >of ENUM are really going to have a mastery of regular expressions. And
errors in >those expressions are going to be rather difficult to diagnose.

I see it:
As Manufactures produce devices, they assign the devices a unique ENUM, the
moment you purchase/register that Device the unit is associated to you and your
home-enum-address (your account number), So when you switch the unit on
anywhere in the ‘700MHz hot-spot’ or land-link, you linkup and access the
service the Device is recognized and a service-charge is then sent back to your
home-enum address.
(Billed to your Primary-Carrier: AT&T, NTT, SBC, Telco)
It (the enum) will be invisible to the User, except for when they get the
ENUM-Bill.

When we get to the future, I wont ‘call you”, … I’ll  ‘Num ya”.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org