[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Mon Dec 10 03:32:57 EST 2007

Milton L Mueller ha scritto:
> A "global Summit of Internet users" strikes me as an example of how
> misdirected bottom up politics can become. If a summit of internet
> users has any value, it is because it will allow the voice of large
> numbers of mobilized users to be brought to bear on concrete policy
> issues. But if those users have _no positions_, nothing of substance
> to say on specific policy choices brought before ICANN and other
> institutions, then what good is it?
>
> Certainly the organizers of such a summit will feel important if it
> attracts a large crowd. Certainly it will create opportunities for
> budding new politicians to become more visible. But what is their
> agenda, what do they have to say, what principles will guide them?
> And how will that be brought to bear on specific, real policy choices
> in real governance agencies?
>
> I would rather attend a meeting of 12 people who know what they want
> to do and are willing and able to intervene in real processes, than a
> meeting of 12,000 people who don't and aren't.

It's nice to agree with Milton every now and then :)

However, since the idea of a summit came out months ago, I have been
repeating that the ICANN Board will never put money on this if a clear
explanation of "how will this event make a difference" isn't provided.
So (AFAIK, as I'm not inside the process any more) the organizers are
now working on providing exactly that. In general, I think that the
event could be very useful or very useless depending on how its agenda
and purposes are set up. I expect that this will be presented to the
broader community in the near future.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------