[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Sat Dec 1 22:35:12 EST 2007

In the greater scheme of things, even confining talk to Internet "users"
may be too narrow, as everyone in society will eventually be affected by
the political ramifications of Internet policy, even if they are not direct
users themselves.  Secondary effects in society can be profound (such as
whether non-users even have the chance to become users in the future, and
whether it might be good for society for increasing numbers of people to be
able to register their own domain names, and thus have more power to choose
among competing service providers in the market).

It is important to understand that whatever *processes* we set up to govern
Internet policy are not confined to any specific *topics* of governance,
and that a structure set up to govern domain name policy, for example, may
be applied to other policies once it has established authority to govern at
all.

So, when discussing representation of political interests (including the
political interests of the general public at large), it may be less
effective to break down the realm of governance into topic-oriented
sub-realms.  That could allow nefarious structures to sneak in under the
radar because they are seemingly being applied to only narrow-interest
topics.

This is a dangerous strategy, if one is trying to protect the public
interest, because a lot of mischief can be done beyond the realm of civil
society attention, if CS decides not to pay attention to process as it
applies to *all* topics of Internet governance.

What we are doing here is *institution building*.  Once the institution is
in place and its authority has been firmly established, its application can
be reapplied to other topics quite widely.  This is precisely why, for
example, gTLD policy *processes* and *authoritative structures* are of
concern to the entire general public, and not just domain name registrants.

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org