[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Sat Dec 1 19:49:32 EST 2007

Can we separate domain name owners from internet users? As George has
reminded us, almost ALL users will never register a domain name. So maybe we
can leave the domain owners issues aside for a bit and  refer to the users
issues?
For example - if we talk about easy and comfortable access to content online
for users (the main thing that I think users want), we'd need to definitely
talk about native scripts and local content issues. Pricing of access is
also an issue - if it is unaffordable to get online, then that is definitely
a user issue.
I think that back and forth about ICANN's structure, how it should have been
and why what currently obtains is worse than what should/could have been is
far less important than on the ground issues for users.

Jacqueline

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
21:26

     governance at lists.cpsr.org