[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Dec 1 22:00:55 EST 2007

Alejandro Pisanty [02/12/07 02:38 +0000]:
> in Spain, there is an Association of Bank Users, sort of a consumers' union
> for bank clients, which the banks hate and gets a lot done for the
> consumers.

Oh yes - public pressure and advocacy - when done right, and when devoid of
politics + abuse of process (tendentious litigation one one side of the
spectrum, poisonously worded "public policy documents" on the other) - does
work wonders to prod industry into action.  Takes rather more public
pressure than civ soc - or industry - can mostly generate to get
governments moving fast enough, or in the right direction, though.

> And I absolutely agree with your list. Point is, it begs the addition of
> academic institutions which are seriously concerned with security and

That was implicit when I talked about civ soc. Sorry for not expanding to a
laundry list of orgs but I like to keep email short.

> There's another angle I consider very important. It is not only the list of
> stakeholders and their specific functions, but also the way they interact,
> that can give rise to effective mechanisms. A systemic (organized, ordered,
> with clear recognition of components, incentives/drivers, feedback cycles,
> robustness-enhancing redundance mechanisms, etc.) view is demanded. Bit of
> work. Worthwhile.

Actually igf style dynamic coalitions can produce far better results,
especially if they continue to work outside IGF meetings and throughout the
year.

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org