[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sun Dec 2 08:23:45 EST 2007

All,

I'd like to ask some questions, perhaps naive, regarding the
international (cyber)crime landscape.  perhaps the collective
intelligence of the group can provide answers.

When viewing the Internet Governance landscape, some of have pointed
out that for many issues that are truly international, there exist
international organizations that focus on them in one way or another.
Examples include WTO, WHO, WMO, OECD, ISO, etc.  We may not all agree
with what these organizations are doing or how or how well they do
it, but they have staked out their area of focus and are not severely
challenged in doing so.

Cybercrime is clearly one of the major issues that Internet
Governance needs to address.  It strikes at the heart of the
reliability, security and effectiveness of the Internet.  It is truly
international in sscope; lthere needs to be a concerted and coherent
effort on the art of all nations to render it impotent.

So where is the international organization that claims (cyber)crime
as its target?  IMHO the obvious target is Interpol.  Yet I don't see
strong evidence of Interpol's involvement in cybercrime.  why not?
Some possible reasons:

(1) It's happening, but I don't see it because I'm not looking in the
right places

(2) It's happening, but purposely being kept secret for the purposes
of effective operations

(3) It's not happening because Interpol doesn't see it as a high
priority or doesn't see it as a part of its mandate

(4) It's not happening because Interpol doesn't have the resources to
address the issue effectively  --  technical, legal, or financial.

(5) None of the above.

Seriously, I would like to understand if our existing international
organizations are capable or could be made capable of really
assisting in this area, or not.  This would give us some evidence
regarding in which directions it would be most effective to proceed.

What do we collectively know about Interpol, and possibly other
similar organizations that could provide a basis for a concerted
attack on cybercrime?

Regards,

George