[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Dec 1 21:27:15 EST 2007

Alejandro Pisanty [02/12/07 02:02 +0000]:

> I'll stop here for a moment and ask, what is the role of civil society in
> this picture? (exercise left to the readers.)

* Capacity building and education for the general public (and others)

* Providing technical expertise

* Any WSIS C2/C4/C6 (capacity bldg, access etc) initiatives have security
built in - for example, if you distribute PCs and connectivity to
disadvantaged areas, please ensure that you also provide hardware firewalls
(if only $50 firewall enabled broadband routers), FOSS (or rather, FLOSS,
as my friend Rishab Aiyer Ghosh puts it - Free/Libre and Open Source
Software) would be an appropriate choice for range of options, security etc

and finally

* Active contribution to cybersecurity (WSIS action line C5) initiatives
	* Though opinions, comments etc would also be great

... anything else?

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org