[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Sat Dec 1 21:02:09 EST 2007

Hi,

on the strand on cybercrime:

a useful way to approach this would be to make a quick list of
stakeholders (the four WSIS stakeholder groups, then a more fine-grained
segmentation of these), and their present and possible future roles.

Thus, you can recognize governments as you are already doing. Governments
in many countries (certainly the once you are mentioning here) have three
main branches, executive, legislative, and judiciary. Each plays or can
play a vital, differentiated role. Then e.g. within the executive you have
differentiated functions - crime prosecution is in the executive in many
countries, crime prevention, education, telecoms regulator (or other
setting and policing rules for ISP operation), and so on.

The cooperation described in previous emails in this strand is mainly
among law-enforcement agencies, which aid each other cross-border in
investigating crimes and prosecuting criminals.

Not much of this can be done with cooperation form other parts of the
governments. It is well known that a person that has committed a crime
under the laws of country A but is in country B cannot be captured in
country B and lawfully extradited to country A unless his actions are also
a crime in country B. And then of course you have to have compatible rules
for evidence, country A has to recognize the evidence obtained in country
B, the rules for the control of the custody of the chain of evidence in
country B have to satisfy country A, and so on.

Lawyers and other experts will be happy to dwell in the details.

The business (what we call the private sector outside the US and UK) to
business cooperation is often easier to meet. Phishing is recognized by
banks in most countries, and though competition issues (banks compete with
each other by being safer, among other factors) may make them want to not
cooperate, once the environment is toxic enough they will not only
cooperate with each other in-country but also cross-border. This gets
complicated by the huge level of consolidation among banks that exists
transnationally.

Other private-sector victims or co-victims to cybercrime (strictly
speaking the bank is not the victim of phishing; the client is the victim;
so I use "co-victim" because banks are shouldering some of the burden for
many reasons) such as small and medium enterprises which are swindled by
criminals (e.g. in fake purchases) may find it more difficult to cooperate
with their peers cross-border directly, preferring their governments to
act on their behalf instead, unless they are very cyber-savvy.

(And, ah, many of us are of the opinion that there is actually no
cybercrime, only crime committed by cyber means.)

I'll stop here for a moment and ask, what is the role of civil society in
this picture? (exercise left to the readers.)

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .
      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5622-8540
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
  Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Jacqueline A. Morris wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 21:34:54 -0400
> From: Jacqueline A. Morris <jam at jacquelinemorris.com>
> To: governance at lists.cpsr.org, 'Ian Peter' <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>,
>     'Suresh Ramasubramanian' <suresh at hserus.net>
> Subject: RE: [governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]
>
> There is some cross-boundary cooperation, but it isn't easy. There are some
> bilateral agreements (for example between Trinidad and Tobago and the UK and
> also with the US ) that allow for co-ordination and cooperation in certain
> instances, but some in the local Police complain that the processes are
> unwieldy.
> I do agree that there needs to be more than simple government to government
> cooperation. But governments are vital, in that they are the ones who can
> sign agreements that are binding, they can amend laws that allow for
> cooperation (and that is important with regard to evidence, with regard to
> what is allowed in different jurisdictions, such as methods of data
> gathering).
> Jacqueline

>>> 2. Industry players (carriers, ISPs, etc)
>>> 3. Technical innovators and standards groups

     governance at lists.cpsr.org