AW: [governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultationand advisory group meeting please

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Sun Apr 29 23:34:27 EDT 2007

I feel both IGF and ICANN are worthy of focused plenary discussion on
their own terms, as is access.

That leaves  Parminder/Bill's suggestion of a survey of public policy
issues and insttiutions at 1 as a stand alone thing as well.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> mueller at syr.edu 4/29/2007 12:06 PM >>>
Wolfgang:

>>> wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de 4/28/2007 5:00 PM
>>>
>I support this in<principle but would like to add an evaluation
>of other IGOs (like ITU, WIPO, WTO, UNESCO) in the
>evaluation. This cna be done under (1) oder under (2). It
>would be intersting to compare the level of multistakholder
>involvement in ICANN and  IGOs.

I think this conversation would best be put under the framework of #4
-
Mandate and role of IGF. Based on my reading of Bill's description of
that, it involves an equal comparison of all the IGOs on the basis of
the WSIS principles.

I think an exceptional approach to ICANN is justified by the fact that
ICANN is not an IGO. There are two distinct and interesting issues
that
could be discussed -- its status as an international organization
(e.g.,
the talk about moving it out of the US) and the changing role of the
GAC.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org