[governance] Internet Governance Debate (Silence and Fatigue)

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sun Apr 22 19:38:20 EDT 2007

I also enjoyed the summary from Jovan and found it helpful for
crystallising a few features of the current situation.

1) If we accept that Internet Governance is a policy issue with a
complex scope and few urgent levers, there seems to me to be no great
pressure to come to the agreement Karl seeks on "What Internet
Governance includes or doesn't include." I think it is important to
keep an open mind on what it might or might not include, because
there are of course many public-policy issues arising from the
Internet's growth, and this group should avoid locking itself into a
policy platform that may become made obsolete very quickly in the
rapidly changing environment. Instead, there is the opportunity for
policy development in new areas not currently being addressed by
ICANN etc. I don't really see the Framework Convention or similar
intergovernmental process getting much leverage when the work which
seems to be required is clarification of the issues and downstream
effects. This is where the forum aspects of the IGF and the dialogue
mechanisms promoted by Bill make sense to me. The discussion has a
long way to go.

2) There are of course specific aspects to the governance of ICANN
and other coordinating bodies which are problematic or worse from a
developmental and rights perspective; and fail to effectively include
the relevant stakeholders. The people on this list working on those
issues display an understanding of the complex interrelation between
policy, technology, and social development -(and here i greatly
admire the work of the IGP even though I disagree with many of the
conclusions). Personally, I think this group could do more to support
collaborative online development of policy inputs related to specific
areas (TLDs, IDNs, DNSSEC, spam, etc etc etc), but as I have said
previously I don't think this is possible on a single mailing list of
this scope, where the natural tendency is to move discussions back to
first principles and ideological disagreements.

I have yet to see this group agree convincingly on who or what we are
supposed to be accountable to as "civil society". The cases that are
most often made in IG have a strong, distinctly Nth American "freedom
from governments"  flavour that I see as part of the problem, rather
than the solution. My usual rule of thumb with groups is to not seek
strong conclusions where there are deep divisions on principles, so I
see this group as a valuable theatre for the rehearsal of various IG
positions, and hope we can keep it open to workshop a wide of a range
of scripts.

Regards,

Danny

On 23/04/2007, at 4:37 AM, Jovan Kurbalija wrote:

> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> You are right that IG is no longer on the radars of governments
> worldwide
> (if it ever was). There are many reasons for this. First--and the most
> important--is that the world has changed substantially between
> 2003, when IG
> was put on the WSIS agenda, and  2007.
>
> Back in 2003, the IG-debate was, to a large extent, "collateral
> damage" of
> the Iraq war. Today, the situation has substantially changed. In
> the US,
> there is strong political opposition to the Iraq war and a gradual
> move back
> to multilateralism (even in the field of environment!).
>
> Beside the suspicion about the US foreign policy, the second reason
> for
> initiating the IG-debate was the story that "a country can be
> removed from
> the Internet by the US government." It was a powerful trigger and
> it created
> concern among diplomats and policy-makers. It was the most frequent
> question
> I was asked by diplomats in Geneva. The story led to a crisis (at
> least in
> perception).
>
> After that... you know what has happened.... WGIG... discussion became
> substantive... there was an extensive learning process....
> Ultimately, it
> became clear that the theoretical possibility of removing a
> country's domain
> from the root zone file is not real possibility for various reasons,
> including decentralized root-servers and the possibility of creating
> parallel roots, etc.
>
> In fact, the power over the root server is an example of the
> paradox of
> power. The possibility of removing a country from the Internet can
> hardly be
> described as a power, since, effectively, it can never be used. The
> central
> element of power is forcing another side to act in the way the
> holder of
> power wants. The use of US power over the root could create a
> different
> outcome--that countries and regions establish their own Internets.
> The US
> would then be a bigger loser than the other players in a possible
> disintegration of the Internet. The US would face the loss of the
> predominance of US-promoted values on the Internet, English as the
> Internet
> lingua franca, and the global market for US-based Internet companies
> (Google, e-Bay, Yahoo,...).
>
> All in all, the two elements that shaped discussion back in 2003 do
> not
> exist any more (strong suspicion about US foreign policy,
> misperception of
> the possibility of removing countries from the Internet).

> [...]

Danny Butt
db at dannybutt.net | http://www.dannybutt.net
Suma Media Consulting | http://www.sumamedia.com
Private Bag MBE P145, Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand
Ph: +64 21 456 379 | Fx: +64 21 291 0200

     governance at lists.cpsr.org