[governance] Internet Governance Debate (Silence and Fatigue)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Apr 22 20:20:29 EDT 2007

Danny Butt wrote:

You ask good questions.

Let me try to give a couple of observations that are in themselves too
simplistic to rise to the level of answers.

> 1) If we accept that Internet Governance is a policy issue with a
> complex scope and few urgent levers, there seems to me to be no great
> pressure to come to the agreement Karl seeks on "What Internet
> Governance includes or doesn't include."

The reason that I mentioned "doesn't include" is that I look at this
issue as one of allocation of authority and power.

And I share the fear expressed by writers of the 18th century, many of
whom were not of North American origin, of excessive concentrations of
such authority.  I do not think that the 21st century internet is immune
from such concentrations.

This is not to say that there should be "no governance" - but rather
that structures of governance should be carefully designed to limit
their powers and to genetically embed into them systems that constrain
the growth of powers.  We could all benefit by re-reading many of the
18th century works on these matters.

A while back I suggested that it might be wise for internet governance
to begin by hewing close to matters that have a firm base in technology
and a lesser base in social or economic matters.

The reason for this was not that such issues should be avoided, but
rather that my own preference is to begin in small, constrained contexts
in which mistakes will naturally tend to be less extensive and can be
made obvious because the technology just won't do what governance demands.

Once we've learned how to create appropriate institutions in a limited
context then, again my own feeling, is that it would then be sensible to
expand governance to issues that have greater ramifications.

> I have yet to see this group agree convincingly on who or what we are
> supposed to be accountable to as "civil society".

I push hard for the individual voice because I want there to be an
escape valve.  I do recognize that the lone individual amplifies his/her
voice by combining with others.

There is difficulty in measuring the weight to give any such aggregation
of people.  My answer has always been that internet governance should
look past the aggregation (whether civil society or corporate) and ask
the people who that aggregation claims as members or employees or
"stakeholders".

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org