[governance] Framework convention

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Apr 20 16:42:55 EDT 2007

Alx,

Interesting that people put spam and phishing together always - because they
are primarily email related issues -

But from a governance perspective phishing belongs with cybercrime, I
suspect, and mechanisms to deal with fraud. Spam in a wider sense may not
always be criminal - phishing always is.

>From a technical perspective, there are measures that assist that assist in
addressing spam/phishing by assisting in tracking origins of messages, but
as we saw in the sender id/spf debacle a few years ago, technical measures
by themselves wont go far. What's lacking, as you suggest, is the governance
structure whereby all of the regulatory, legal, consumer, technical
approaches can be utilized and considered in a common integrated strategy or
series of strategies. I didn't see that happening either pre or post WGIG
despite increased attention to the problem

Ian Peter