[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Apr 19 13:37:43 EDT 2007

Jacqueline A. Morris wrote:
> A family could represent a grouping of individual users...
> I don't think that an individual should HAVE to join an organization in
> order to have a say in processes or policy, but we do need to think how to
> practically organize it... for example, a place where there are 10 people
> interested in participating with a particular viewpoint could easily on the
> basis of 1 person 1 vote be drowned out by 100,000 from a place that is more
> developed wrt the Internet,

Minority rights are important to recognize.  And perhaps the best way to
deal with that is to do the following:

The definition of the job of the body of internet governance should
carefully identify those issues and matters that are of elevated importance.

For those matters, supermajority voting requirements should be required.

We did this in the Boston Working Group proposal (the alternative to the
Jones Day proposal for what would eventually become ICANN) - take a look
at the "fundamental assets" part of the materials under
http://www.cavebear.com/bwg/

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org