[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Wed Apr 18 10:22:18 EDT 2007

Veni Markovski wrote:
> At 22:28 4/17/2007  -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>> Veni Markovski wrote:
>>
>>> It's time that we just stop paying so much attention to the people
>>> who complain all the time, and instead focus our attention on the
>>> people who constructively contribute.
>>
>> I really do hope that the way I read your words in English is not
>> reflective of what you intended to express.  The sentiment conveyed by
>> those words in English can readily be constructed as casting
>> aspersions upon all of the people, including myself, who worked so
>> hard for so many years and met with nothing but ostracism, rejection,
>> defamatory statements, and even unlawful acts.
>>
>> Even Sisyphus got tired of rolling that boulder up that mountain every
>> day just to watch it roll back down every evening.
>
> Karl,
> I certainly do not want to say that you, or people like you, should be
> met with unlawful acts. I just want to start a new page, as the old
> pages we are all reading here, do not contribute to the problems we all
> face.
> There's SO much history among the people on this list, that it is -  in
> certain cases - counter-productive. Instead of finding solutions, we see
> new problems being developed. That's why I want something new. And
> that's why the old history in this situation is not good. Each of us has
> contributed to ICANN, to the global Internet, to the Internet in their
> own countries (well, may be not all of us, but still, many). But he
> problems we face today have not many things in common with the history.
> I am trying to be part of the solution, and would expect everyone to be
> like that. If someone is constantly being part of the problem, or part
> of the landscape, I believe I have deserved the right to note that this
> is not helping.

Neither is disparaging the contributions of those who spend their time
trying to improve ICANN structures by criticizing them.

Are you saying that only the long-timers who still have positive things
to say about the organization are worth listening to?  Based on my
experiences, I'd be most inclined to discount those comments that don't
recognize and try to account for the current model's failings.

--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
     governance at lists.cpsr.org