[governance] Where are we going?

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Mon Apr 9 13:10:05 EDT 2007

At 11:00 a.m. 09/04/2007, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >What i say is that this issue is less important
> >than it seems. If we are talking about freedom of
> >expression, so, it is very important, but if we
> >are only talking about market regulation, so, the
> >imporance of this issue is different.
>
>We are talking about both, Raul. You cannot have free expression
>without an ability to freely utilize the means of media production.
>People who discuss free software or net neutrality, to shift the context
>somewhat, are talking about both commercial and noncommercial activity
>that is fostered by the open, neutral access to the resource in
>question.

Nobody express him/herself trhough a domain name.
If you want to access an adult conten website,
you can do it (of course, with the limitations
that everybody know, what is a real censorship
problem). The existence of .xxx will not chnge
anything in relation with your abiltiy to do it.
If you want to create or host an adult content
website you can do it (of course, if it is legal
in your country). The existence of .xxx will not
change anything in relation with your abitlity to do it.

So, there is not a problem about freedom of
expression. While you think that my view "is not
clearly thought out" , I still think that nobody
has demonstrated that freedom of expression os
affected by this decision about .xxx.

We are talking about a different thing. So, let's
focus correctly this discussion.

Personally, I think that there are some process
in place for creating new TLDs. I understand thay
you don't like those process, and I respect your
view, but while those process are in place, what
we can question is if the process are correctly used.

The specific case of .xxx is much more
complicated and less important of what you try to
show. Is not an issue between governments and the
rest of the community, is not only a matter of
lobbysm. There are a lot of people and
organizations (not governmental) that think that
this domain is not appropriated. So, the lack of
a strong community support (as Carlos already has said) is obvious.

IMHO we are wasting time discussing this issue.
ICANN Board has taken a decision that has
significant support through different
stakeholders in the Internet community. Clearly
it is not either the best or the worst thing that
ICANN has done. I am sure that there are other
cases in which it is much more important to be
meticulous regarding principles.

Raúl

     governance at lists.cpsr.org