[governance] Where are we going?

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Apr 9 10:00:37 EDT 2007

>>> raul at lacnic.net 4/9/2007 6:37 AM >>>
>What i say is that this issue is less important
>than it seems. If we are talking about freedom of
>expression, so, it is very important, but if we
>are only talking about market regulation, so, the
>imporance of this issue is different.

We are talking about both, Raul. You cannot have free expression
without an ability to freely utilize the means of media production.
People who discuss free software or net neutrality, to shift the context
somewhat, are talking about both commercial and noncommercial activity
that is fostered by the open, neutral access to the resource in
question.

Governments who want to regulate and restrict expression inevitably do
so via economic regulation as well as direct censorship, e.g. by limitng
the number of ISPs in a market or by refusing to make radio spectrum
resources available for civilian and commercial use. Your attempt to
drive a wedge between the two is not clearly thought out.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org