[governance] Re: Antispam practices

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Wed Sep 27 10:14:11 EDT 2006

I dont think it is a good idea to use the mailer of my isp.

First I could not even use it because they would not support Linux.
That is some time ago.

Next I needed to access my email both from work and home. My ISP
would not do that either.

And then I urgently needed to access my email from overseas. No
way.

Next, after moving I wont be able to access the mailer of my
ISP any longer. I am glad I never used it in the first place.

Ok, and what about my competitian telling my ISP I had stolen
some music and they urgently needed to look into my emails?

That is why I shall never use somebody elses mailer, but only
my own here in my room.

Interestingly enough there are people arround who cannot be
reached except with your own personal mailer, even if it is
on a dynamic IP-address.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
> Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>

>>To me, this does not look like boycott, since it is not that you are
>>stopping to buy some ISP's products (something that affects only you and
>>the company you are boycotting): you are actively shutting out of the
>>network all customers of that ISP, by blocking their traffic.
>

> Look at it another way: if your ISP is behaving in a manner that does
> not suit the way you want to use the Internet (by blocking ports, using
> blacklists, etc), you are free to switch to a competitor.
>
> In the end, when the ISP will notice it loses customers and revenue
> because of its behaviour, it may want to change its current practice.
> This is effectively an indirect boycott, although I agree honest
> customers are being held hostage in this situation.
>
> Of course, this does not solve the issue on the spot but it may force
> the ISPs to change their policies and behaviour on a longer term.
>
> Patrick

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana
Graeffstrasse 14