[governance] Re: Antispam practices

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Sep 28 07:36:46 EDT 2006

Patrick Vande Walle ha scritto:
>>To me, this does not look like boycott, since it is not that you are
>>stopping to buy some ISP's products (something that affects only you and
>>the company you are boycotting): you are actively shutting out of the
>>network all customers of that ISP, by blocking their traffic.
>
> Look at it another way: if your ISP is behaving in a manner that does
> not suit the way you want to use the Internet (by blocking ports, using
> blacklists, etc), you are free to switch to a competitor.

And if basically all major ISPs in a country behave like that? In Italy
I use Wind/Libero/Infostrada and I am blacklisted, don't even think
about Telecom Italia, Fastweb is being blacklisted everywhere for its
practice of reusing other people's IPs... Many smaller ones just resell
IP blocks and services from the big ones... I'm not sure things would
get any better for me if I switched ISP - and we are talking about one
of the biggest European countries. Just imagine in other parts of the world!

Or what if you live in a country where you can only pick one (national)
ISP? I remember, a few years ago, watching the Syrian delegate in an ITU
meeting complain about the entire country (ie the national ISP) being
blacklisted for some days and being unable to communicate with the world
by email.

It's not that I don't see the market solution and the importance of
getting ISPs to behave, but I just don't assume that users are always in
a position to switch ISP, or that not being blacklisted should become
the main criterion to pick your ISP. Most users don't even understand
what blacklisting is, you can't expect them to deal with this problem.

And then, actually what you are suggesting is that I should only pick
ISPs that give me static IP addresses, since dynamic ranges are being
blacklisted anyway just for that reason :-(
     governance at lists.cpsr.org