[governance] Re: Antispam practices

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Wed Sep 27 09:25:18 EDT 2006

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> To me, this does not look like boycott, since it is not that you are
> stopping to buy some ISP's products (something that affects only you and
> the company you are boycotting): you are actively shutting out of the
> network all customers of that ISP, by blocking their traffic.

Look at it another way: if your ISP is behaving in a manner that does
not suit the way you want to use the Internet (by blocking ports, using
blacklists, etc), you are free to switch to a competitor.

In the end, when the ISP will notice it loses customers and revenue
because of its behaviour, it may want to change its current practice.
This is effectively an indirect boycott, although I agree honest
customers are being held hostage in this situation.

Of course, this does not solve the issue on the spot but it may force
the ISPs to change their policies and behaviour on a longer term.

Patrick

     governance at lists.cpsr.org